Thursday 31 January 2013

J'adore, J'adore













I don't care how cheesy it sounds using a Dior fragrance name in the title, I am summing up in a Mozzarella themed way how much I am totally in love with Raf Simons' second couture collection for the house that Christian built. 

I don't know why I love it so much, I just do... I am biased as I have been a Raf fan for many a year, but I just love his stunning sense of minimalism and such a fresh take that he has brought to the house. I love that he has taken small details from the archive and things Dior and the New Look era were synonymous for and added a modern Raf-themed twist. I find the utter simplicity and un-couture mood that he has brought to the table. Don't get me wrong, the pomp, theatre and general OTT mood that Galliano and couturiers past and present are themed for will always hold a special place in a corner of my fashion heart, I just love how it has evolved and developed with time and varying degrees of economic hardship. 

Back to the show... I loved every aspect of it! The garden themed setting was my favourite part (another of Raf's recent signatures) addig to the romance and delicacy that the collection itself evoked. The detailing and ways that the petit mains created the illusion of flowers and, buds and all thing botany based was just wonderful. Despite a distinct lack of utter drama oft associated with the couture collections, Raf showed off the talents of the ateliers with subtle intricate detailing and his usual trompe l'oeil effects used to create certain effects. I loved the coccoon shapes and simple, minimal silhouettes that slithered through the garden. The pixie crop wigs added a sense of Audrey Hepburn and bygone era couture mostly forgotten by designers these days... I loved that the pastels, lighter weight fabrics and illusion of dresses made of tiny flower buds instilled that this was a SPRING show, and helped to enforce what season it represented. That is my favourite part about couture, it represents the current season rather than predicting how we will look in 6 months time... It is like a fizzy, girly aperitif to the impending fashion month kicking off in a few weeks time.

I don't care what the haters say... Boy done good!

images courtesy of style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment